The Magic Stick game is one that will confound your youth group, while showing the importance of working as a team.
One large stick, tent pole, broomstick, etc
One of the best parts of the Magic Stick game is that it requires very few resources and can be done anywhere – I did it in Rwanda with a broomstick!
Lower the stick to the ground while everyone keeps their fingers straight and touching the Magic Stick.
How To Play
- The young people make two lines facing each other
- Each youth puts both of their first or pointer fingers out straight at chest level
- Youth facing each other should have their fingers set ‘every other’ with the youth across from them
- Set the Magic Stick along the group’s fingers
- Tell the youth they must lower the stick to the ground- but everyone’s fingers must be touching the stick at all times
- When the stick gets too high, reset the line and the stick
- Reset the stick if the youth are curling their fingers around the pole, making an X with their fingers or using other fingers to lower the stick
This can be achieved when a young person takes the lead and counts “1…2…3… lower”, then everyone lowers the Magic Stick at the same rate.
For a printable copy of this activity with images showing finger placement click here.
If you liked this game, you may like our other youth group games.
Question: How would you use the Magic Stick game in your youth programming? Let us know in the comments below.
You can also connect with us by:
- Signing up to receive our posts via email
- Following us on Twitter
- Liking us on Facebook
- Signing up to our RSS feed