This world awareness game might be useful before discussing children’s rights around the world or participating in an event like Slum Survivor, since the purpose is to get youth thinking about the richest and poorest countries in the world.
Richest and Poorest Countries Activity
- Place a world map on the wall
- Split the youth into two teams
- Explain what GDP is. (Very basically, it’s the amount earned by everyone in the country divided by the number of people in that country each year)
- Give each team a set of rich and poor piggy bank markers
- Ask the youth to guess which countries they think are the richest in the world and which are poorest by placing their piggy bank markers on each country
- Go through the markers and discuss which countries are the richest and poorest, as well as where the ones chosen by your youth fall on the list
Keep this world awareness game light and fun, otherwise it has the potential to be a less fun activity. Consider having some interesting facts available about the five richest and poorest countries, or provide access for the youth to find fun facts about the countries they do choose.
Question: How would you introduce the topic of wealth and poverty among countries to your youth? Share your ideas in the comments below.
You can also connect with us by:
- Signing up to receive our posts via email
- Following us on Twitter
- Liking us on Facebook
- Signing up to our RSS feed